1. What prompted me to read the Bible in Spanish?
- Short-n-Sweet Ans: I love the Word and I love Spanish!
- Long-winded Ans: Well, I graduated with a BA in Spanish not too, too long ago, however, I am still not fluent in Spanish (embarrassing, ikr?!) So, I continued to study it on the side and had read about others learning new languages through reading their Bible in both languages (kind of Rosetta Stone-ish, I thought, but hey…why not?). So, since I make it a goal every year to read my Bible through in a year (normally, I am a few months behind…lol) I thought, this year would be a great year to attempt reading it in Spanish!
2. Since I’m not fluent… how do I understand what I’m reading…and does it even count if I don’t?
- I actually struggled with this question myself when I first set this goal. However, I was confident that God’s Word is just as powerful in Spanish as it is in English as it is in Chinese if read or spoken, regardless of whether or not I personally can understand it.
- That said, it is taking me a lot longer to read through it since I have to re-read it in English at times (but only if I’m completely lost!). I have also picked up many new words just by using context clues and from reading over them several times or just knowing a certain passage from previous experience and again using context clues.
- Bottom Line: God is BIG enough to cross the language barrier for anyone to get His message across to our hearts!
3. How often do I read…do I read as you planned?
- Prior to this year, I read my Bible EVERY day, with very few days missed! This year, however, since starting this journey, it has been an on-going battle to get in the Word daily…even though I LOVE it when I do, and I’m getting so much more out of my time, since I have to read it slower for comprehension… It’s like I’m reading it anew every time I open it! So, no I’m not on schedule with my reading, pray for me : )
4. What do I expect to accomplish with this goal?
- What I expect, and what is happening, is that I’m getting closer to God everyday…I’m seeing His Word in a brand new way, I’m challenged and actually more engaged in my reading! I guess, I was expecting to go through a spiritual “growth spurt,” more than anything…and so far, so good!
5. What can You get from reading my blog?
- Ya know…that is a really good question! But, as I’m reading, and praying and meditating on His Word, I’m praying for His wisdom to guide me. So, I guess, you get to benefit from what He’s showing me, and in essence, I ‘m believing that He’s got a message for YOU too…otherwise, He wouldn’t have prompted your heart to come here!
- Be blessed AND encouraged friend!
*Did I miss anything? Have any other questions? Ask away!